Entertaining Home & Family

A Nautical Birthday Party

October 10, 2012

IMG_7263

A birthday always gives The Spoiled Mummy a reason to celebrate. And as I have mentioned here in my blog, I really love celebrating my family’s birthdays with unique and fun parties! (See my previous posts herehere, here, and here to know more about our past birthday celebrations).

My fascination for children’s parties started way back in my childhood when I would see and hear my mom and dad prepare months in advance for my birthday. I remember going with my mom to a famous local bakeshop and choosing my birthday cake from the shop’s numerous and thick photo albums. Of course, I always made sure that I get my favorite cartoon characters on top of my cake!  I also recall how my dad would call his friends who owned small restaurants or catering companies and order lots of food for the upcoming party. Then on the day of the party itself, I remember seeing more guests who were friends of my parents, because the children guests would all go home by 530pm! 🙂

So fast forward to present day, I still look forward to every birthday in my family. To me, it doesn’t matter whether you celebrate in a small or big way, as long as you mark it in your own “special way”. Every birthday is indeed a special occasion because this happens only once a year! And as a mother, every year that my children turn a year older is considered to be a momentous day. So admittedly, this “pressures” me to come up with something that is not only fun and enjoyable for my children and our guests, but more importantly and hopefully — something that the celebrant will always remember with fondness.

Whenever any of my kids’ birthdays are coming up, I make sure to ask them first how they want to spend it. As much as I would like to tell them how I want them to celebrate, I think it is just right and fitting that the whole idea comes from the celebrant. Whether they want to invite just a few close friends or their whole class, whether they want to treat their best friends to burger and fries or an afternoon movie with lots of popcorn and ice cream in between, I find that to make it special and memorable for them — it is still best to ask them how they want to celebrate their special day.

So when my second son turned 4, he requested for a swimming party with his whole class! And since we don’t have a swimming pool in our home, we decided to throw the party at the nearby Rockwell Club.

Photo above shows his party invitation which is meant to look like a sailor’s lunch box…In front of the box are the details of the party while inside, it contained a bag of yummy favors and treats!

This party was quite small and easy to organize so I didn’t see the need to hire any party coordinator. Besides in my experience as a mother of three young children who have had several birthday parties in between all of them, I have pretty much tried and tested most of the party suppliers out there. So for this small celebration, I just called on a couple of my most trusted and reliable ones.

Because I have the Nautical theme / Pool party as the main concept already, everything else just flowed from this big idea. My son and I talked about his party quite often which made it a lot easier for his mummy to plan. We both agreed to use the colors red, white and blue to match the venue’s fresh, outdoor pool ambience.

The sailboat cake and cupcakes were made by my friend, Michelle Teves of Cococakes.

Cococake’s cakes and cupcakes are not only pretty to look at, they are delicious too!

One of my requirements from my bakers is never to overload my treats with white sugar…I can never appreciate cakes that are too sugary sweet or topped with too much icing or frosting!

For the table centerpieces, instead of having flowers or balloons, I had some boxes made according to my Nautical theme and then filled it with popcorn…not only did they serve their purpose as table decor, they were also a healthier treat to the kids!

And what’s a pool party without some frozen delights? These red, white and blue ice cold popsicles refreshed the kids throughout that sunny afternoon!

And because kids love m&m’s chocolates…I ordered these mini Krispy Kreme donuts topped with m&m’s!

Cookies made by Cococakes in Nautical inspired designs were up for grabs too!

With those sweet treats overflowing, the little sailors were definitely pumped up and energized on that fun afternoon 🙂

Thirst quenchers for everyone – fresh orange juice, iced tea and bottles of cold mineral water.

The loot bag…a “little sailor’s kit” prepared for each kid!

Inside, it contained a pair of flip – flops…

And fancy sunnies for every little boy and girl sailor!

I find that kids get more excited when they see their loot bags as soon as they come in, instead of waiting for it at the end of the party!

A little entertainment hopped on board too! I decided to get a mime to delight the kids in between the pool fun and snacks.

The mime did a lot of funny magic tricks that surely amused his kiddie guests!

And our little sailors played along too!

Everyone was game to have fun!

Even parents joined in on the craze too!

But this party’s success was measured by the children’s heartwarming laughs!

But some good things have to come to an end…

As parents, we all know that there is nothing more rewarding than seeing our children happy.  This small celebration of my little boy filled his heart with lots of joy, laughter and good memories that hopefully someday, he would remember with much fondness — just like his mummy.

Cococakes (Michelle Teves) – 0917-532-7472

Little People Photography (Krissy Rodriguez) – 0920-907-9241

You Might Also Want To Read

A Book on Entertaining by RSVP Lifestyle Asia

March 15, 2016

#MummyBosses: Happy, Kai and Christine

September 19, 2016

My Daughter’s Nursery On Glam-o-Mamas

February 25, 2013

29 Comments

• Reply Anna October 10, 2012 at 2:31 am

Great Birthay theme for my godson Emilio!! This party I specially love. The whole Nautica theme is just so fit for pool parties plus it always looks so good:) I love how your parties are so personalized and right for the occasion. Thanks for posting!

• Reply TheSpoiledMummy October 10, 2012 at 6:03 am

Thanks Ninang Anna! We will see you soon!

• Reply Cris Tacata February 22, 2016 at 12:44 pm

Hi Soiled Mummy!

I’m also having my son’s first birthday party with the same theme on March 19. If I may ask, who is your supplier for the customized loot bags?

Thank you.

Cris

• Reply TheSpoiledMummy February 22, 2016 at 4:11 pm

I get most of my party supplies from Party Starters : email them at partystartersmail@gmail.com

Happy planning!

• Reply Aina Tan October 10, 2012 at 2:34 am

Hi Spoiled Mummy! I really enjoy reading your posts… I admire your attention to details and your excellent taste. 😉 Wish you more parties to plan! 😉 Keep posting and God bless 😉

• Reply TheSpoiledMummy October 10, 2012 at 6:04 am

Thank you for your positive feedback, I appreciate your comments!

• Reply Aina Tan October 10, 2012 at 2:35 am

Oh, and your children are so adorable 😉 They’re all so cute! 😉 God bless you and your family 😉

• Reply TheSpoiledMummy October 10, 2012 at 6:05 am

Thank you. Blessings back to you as well 🙂

• Reply Marivic October 10, 2012 at 6:51 am

If you don’t mind, could I know the supplier of your popcorn bags and packaging of your loot bags? Thanks

• Reply TheSpoiledMummy October 11, 2012 at 2:02 am

It’s ADWORKS – Tel 636-5570 🙂

• Reply Phenomenal Mama October 10, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Happy Birthday to your son! Your kids are so lucky to have you! I love planning small parties for my kids, too; but yours take the cake. Just beautiful!

• Reply TheSpoiledMummy October 11, 2012 at 2:01 am

Thank you. Actually, we are the ones lucky (and blessed) to have our children 🙂

• Reply Chris October 11, 2012 at 1:20 am

Love the nautical theme for a kiddie bday pool party. Chic, simple and smart! 🙂

• Reply TheSpoiledMummy October 11, 2012 at 2:03 am

Thank you! I figured the simpler, the better! (Less stress too!) 🙂

• Reply Chris October 12, 2012 at 2:05 am

It’s a good mantra for the holidays. chic, simple, smart = less stress 🙂

• Reply jeanne October 11, 2012 at 1:58 pm

One of my favorite children party of all time.. and my favorite celebrant too! 🙂 Looking forward to the next one 🙂

• Reply TheSpoiledMummy October 12, 2012 at 1:01 am

Looking forward too! 🙂

• Reply Clarisse October 13, 2012 at 3:30 am

Hi Spoiled Mummy! Really love looking at your pictures. Would like to ask if the mime you got in your son’s birthday party is worth recommending? If yes, may I know his contact number? Thanks! 🙂

• Reply TheSpoiledMummy October 14, 2012 at 11:17 am

Hi Clarisse. I got the mime through Peps (a party planner) – 0917 843 7377…good luck with your party planning!

• Reply Martine October 15, 2012 at 2:52 am

Beautiful, as usual, Grace!
    Love the little details! They are adorable. Aren’t small parties such fun?

• Reply TheSpoiledMummy October 15, 2012 at 9:01 am

Thanks, Martine! Smaller parties are definitely much more fun!

• Reply Janet Callano October 28, 2012 at 3:25 am

A very nice theme indeed! I specially like the details too. if you don’t mind me asking, where did you have the souvenir made? Thanks.

• Reply TheSpoiledMummy October 28, 2012 at 9:39 am

Hi Janet, the thematic printed materials were made by adworks (6365570) while the slippers, sunglasses and everything else were bought from SM department store 🙂

• Reply Christine November 17, 2012 at 5:05 am

If you don’t mind, could I know the supplier of your ice cold popsicles?

• Reply TheSpoiledMummy November 18, 2012 at 8:03 am

It’s Coco Cakes. Her contact details are in the blog post. 🙂

• Reply edalyn buendicho June 19, 2013 at 3:42 am

hi sis! where can i buy those loot bags and popcorn boxes?

• Reply TheSpoiledMummy June 19, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Had them made by Adworks’ graphic artist. A lot of party suppliers can customize them now too. Try Party Starters – 0927 929 1075.

• Reply Arlyn May 5, 2017 at 1:09 am

Hi! I just wanted to ask if I need to be a member to host a party in the pool area of the Rockwell Club? Thanks!

• Reply TheSpoiledMummy May 5, 2017 at 9:18 am

Hello, Arlyn! Yes you have to be a member or at least be sponsored by a member to host a party at the Rockwell Club. Kindly check with them for details. 🙂